You know when you’re hungry for Gumbo and Snowed in… 2 turkey quarters frozen from Thanksgiving. Hell, it’s Gumbo Time! But Holy Crap…no stock and no bell or poblano peppers and no can tomatoes…what’s a girl gotta do? Southwest Slather to the rescue!!! You gotta use what you have…Where you at, Darlin?
- 2 Turkey Leg Quarters (2 legs 2 thighs), skin on (Leftover from Thanksgiving-they never quite got done-so froze them for Gumbo Time!)
- 1 lg Onion, medium dice
- 1 lg Carrot, medium dice
- 3 Celery stalks, medium dice
- 5 sm Garlic cloves
- 1 T Green or Black peppercorns
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 T Course Sea Salt
Water to cover
- 1/1/2 Sticks of butter
- 1/2 C Flour
Trinity and such: (Trinity is onions , celery, and bell peppers)
- 1 lg Onion, diced small
- 2 lg Celery, diced small
- 4 lg Garlic, cloves minced
- 1 C White wine
- Strained Turkey Stock
- 2 oz Chicken glace, More Than Gourmet/
- 2-9oz Chef Gerrie Southwest Roasted Pepper Slather
- 1 T Cajun seasoning (Slap Your Mamma)
- 1/4 t Calabrian fermented crushed peppers/Sriracha
- 10 oz Okra, frozen package
- 2 T Sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 bu Scallions, chopped
- 1/4 bu Italian parsley, chopped
- 11 oz Andouille Cooked Sausage link, sliced Turkey Meat from quarters
- 1 T Gumbo file
Chef’s Notes: Sub 2 qts turkey/chicken stock
1. Make turkey stock. Cover ingredients with cold water. Bring just up to a lazy boil and lower temp to low. For 2-3 hours. Strain and reserve stock.
2. Make roux. Melt butter over medium low heat. Add flour and stir to blend. Lower heat to low. Don’t walk away. Occasionally stir, then let it alone for a couple of minutes… you will notice the roux will start darkening. Stir then leave alone for another couple of minutes…you want to see the roux t darken to the color of a Hershey/Milk Chocolate bar.
3. Add the Trinity onions, celery, garlic, Southwest Slather, and white wine. Turn up the heat a little to cook off the alcohol… about 3 minutes or so.
4. Add strained Turkey stock. Bring heat up to medium until a lazy boil.
5. Add Glace, Slather, Cajun seasoning, Calabrian crushed peppers, sun dried tomatoes, Scallions, Parsley, Sausage, Turkey.
6. In a separate pan sauté okra in a little oil to “de Slim It” This is important before you add it to the gumbo mix. You don’t want slimy gumbo!
7. Hit it with File Gumbo seasoning…(sassafras leaves)
8. Simmer for another 1-2 hours
9. Serve it with Hot Garlic Bread… Rice too