Top your favorite chips with delicious delicacies…
Like pulled pork, smoke salmon, beef carpaccio, or black bean, corn, avocado salsa. Chip it up, baby! Grab those chips you like and lets upscale these chips to thrills of gratification. Sexy right? Are you feeling it yet?
Short on time…
Make it fast and easy, visit your favorite deli and check out their possible toppings. Short on cash take a new look at the possibilities of your left overs. You can make it your own!
Here I grabbed Jack’s BBQ Pulled Pork and coleslaw from my favorite grocery store, Dorothy Lane Market; cold smoke salmon pre-sliced, I got from Costco; grilled beef carpaccio (rare seared steak and chimichurri) leftovers from the night before; and made a black bean and corn salsa, from canned black beans and sweet yellow corn and spruced it up with slice of avocado.
It’s all about the chip…
Choosing your chips correctly, the correct thickness, taste, and appearance. And the chip doesn’t have to be potato. Try these… Off The Eaton Path, “Veggie Crisps” ; The Daily Crave, “Himalayan Pink Salt” lentil chips , and my new favorite potato chips by Hen Of The Woods, “Hint of Smoke and Red Wine Vinegar“.
Decide on your toppings and choose the chips…
This is a time to engage your guest, to chip it up! Entertain them…they can make their own chip art! Warning, it’s not a good idea to pre-top ahead of time, like anything else the weight of the toppings will cause a soggy, flabby chip.
- 4 Small/medium bowls for (sized)chips
- 2 Medium bowls one for salsa and one for chimichurri
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Chef Knife
- 2-4 Small forks and spoons for toppings
- 6-8 Small Plates and/or 1 platter
4/5-6 oz Bags of Chips (Hen of the Woods, “Red Wine Vinegar and Hint of Smoke”); Off the Eaten Path, “Veggie Crisps”), and The Daily Crave, ” (Lentil-Himalayan Pink Salt”) *
A little bit of country…Red Wine Vinegar Chips topped with Pulled Pork and Slaw
- 8 oz Jack’s BBQ Pulled Pork, ready made from DLM *
- 6 oz Coleslaw, ready made
- Italian parsley plumes for garnish
Latino Veggie…Veggie Crisps topped with Avocado Slice and Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 1 Avocado, large sliced thin (just prior to serving)
Black Bean and Corn Salsa ingredients:
- 10 oz Yellow corn, canned, southwest style, rinsed
- 15 oz Black beans, canned, rinsed
- 1/2 Poblano pepper, small diced
- 8 Pepperazzi peppers, chopped *
- 1/2 C Scallions, chopped
- 1/4 C Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Lime zest and juice
- Hot Sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Argentinian Churrasco… Hint of Smoke Chips topped with Grilled Steak and Chimichurri
- 8 oz New York Sirloin steak, seared rare and sliced thin
- 1 t Steak seasoning
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 C Shallots, minced
- 1/2 C Scallions, chopped
- 1 T Garlic, minced
- 1 C Italian parsley, minced
- 1 T Oregano, minced
- 1/4 C Cilantro, minced
- 1 Lemon zest and juice
- 2 T White balsamic vinegar
- 2 T Fig Vincotto vinegar
- 1 t Honey
- 1/2 t Red Chili flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Uptown fancy…Himalayan Pink Salt Lentil Chips topped with Smoked Salmon, Sour Cream, Capers, and Dill Plume
- 8 Cold smoke salmon, pre sliced
- 4 oz Sour Cream
- 1/2 C Capers
- .66 oz Dill, plumes
- .66 oz Chives, 1 inch snipes
Chef Gerrie’s Notes:
* Chips should be large enough and sturdy enough to hold the delicious toppings. The chips, I chose are perfect pairing to these suggested toppings. They are quite tasty! Or use your own favorite chips. As you all know not all of the chips are perfect so you may have to ditch a few…or buy extra
* Jack’s BBQ Pulled Pork at DLM is the bomb! Or you can choose your favorite pulled pork.
* Pepperazzi peppers are delicious sweet pickled peppers, yet with an attitude. You can use these tasty peppers in so many ways…stuff them with goat cheese and their great to serve with antipasti, sandwiches and salads
* Fig Vincotto Vinegar is absolutely the best EVER! Fig flavored Vincotto is a velvety liquid made by cooking and reducing the grape must from two distinct grape varietals, malvasia and negroamaro, reduced for 15 hours and then aged in oak barrels for 4 years. Besides in salads, over grilled meats & seafood, ricotta cheese, pasta, and even over ice cream!
* Chimichurri Sauce Recipe is my favorite way to make it. All ingredients are chopped small to fine…not pureed like so many other recipes…its changes the flavor profile. And to me, not in a good way. I put my special spin on it and had endless rave reviews over it.
* Black Bean and Corn Salsa is made from the can (spicy black beans and sweet corn southwest style) …with extra fresh ingredients. You could use frozen beans and corn or buy it ready made from the deli.
1. Separate perfect chips, from the broken. Keep each variety chips separated.
2. Make the Chimichurri by combining all the ingredients and let marinate.
Ingredients for Chimichurri
3. Make the black bean and corn salsa by combining all ingredients, except the avocado slices and let marinate.
Black Beans, Corn, Poblano Peppers, Scallions, & Cilantro
4. Grill the steak to medium rare, with an internal degree of 125°-135° F
5. Lay out chips and start topping:
- A little bit Country, Red Wine Vinegar chip, top with a teaspoon of pulled pork, then coleslaw and garnish with Parsley plume
- Latino Veggie Crisp, lay a slice of avocado on crisp, then top with a teaspoon of black bean and corn salsa
- Argentinian Churrasco chip, lay a rare slice of grilled beef steak, then top with a teaspoon chimichurri
- Uptown fancy…Himalayan Pink Salt Lentil, lay a slice of smoked salmon, top it with a small dollop of sour cream, garnish with capers and chives