Need to make some party food ideas that are easy to carry in one hand?
Need some party ideas that your guests will get a kick out of? Healthy skewers are making a huge comeback. A healthy taste treat besides all the nasty crap you get from the food vendors. Using high quality store bought ingredients keeps things so simple, so all I have to do is skewer and stick them into my display for the table.
Here are some of my favorite tasty appetizer ideas you can put on a stick. Once you get the idea, start making your own creative combinations. C’mon, you can do it! The recipes and my recommendations are below.
Sautéed Korean steak ribbons with pickled cucumbers
Poached shrimp and scallops, grapefruit, avocado, and fresh baby spinach
Skewer up marinated tortellinis, Ciliengini Mozzarella balls, grape tomatoes, fresh basil plume, and artichoke hearts
Skewer it up with Sautéed Korean Beef;
Poached Shrimp & Scallops; Caprese Salad & Marinated Artichoke Heart
RestaurantWare has the best catering disposable ware and skewers ever! And quite the fashion conscious, eco-friendly display board for your skewers. See?
Want more party food ideas?
If you want to have FUN at your next party, sports gathering or barn party, try my other “One Handed Food” appetizer ideas: Cone It and Chip It.
- 6 Bamboo paddle skewers, 8 inches in length *
- 1 Paddle skewer stand, to hold skewers *
- Chef Knife
- Mandoline slicer *
- Thermomentor, Digital (worth every penny)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 4 Medium bowls
- 1 Saute pan, 10 inch (Korean beef)
- 1 Sauce pan, 8-10 inches with lid (for poaching)
- Spider, wire Chinese
- Sautéed Korean style beef and pickled cucumbers:
- 10-12 oz Sirloin strip steak, sliced thin (4-portions)
- 8 oz Korean sauce, marinade *
Pickled Korean Cucumbers (4-portions)
- 1 lg English cucumbers, sliced thin on mandoline slicer
- 1 Shallot, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 C Rice wine vinegar
- 1 T Ginger, freshly grated
- 1/4 t Crushed red chili flakes
- 2/3 C Sugar
- 1 t Coarse Sea Salt
Poached and Marinated Shrimp and Scallops Spa Salad:
- 2 oz Butter (1/2 stick), salted and softened
- 1/2 t Parsley, minced
- 1/2 t Dill, weed
- 1/2 t garlic, minced
- 2 Jumbo shrimp (15-20 ct), peeled and devined
- 2 Large, sea scallops
- 1-2 C White wine,
- 1 t Shallot, minced
- 1/2 C Garlic Expressions *
- 1/2 Avocado, cubed in 1 inch pieces (6 pieces)
- Salt and Pepper to season avocados
- 1/2 Lime, juice for avocado cubes
- 6 Ruby red grapefruit sections,
- 2 oz Baby spinach leaves, stems removed
- Caprese Salad with Giant Marinated Artichoke Hearts:
Chef Gerrie’s Notes & Recommendations:
* Store Skewers in long plastic tubs with tight fitting lid for easy transfer off site catering.
* Bamboo Paddle Skewers and Stand Restaurantware has the best catering supplies and equipment, edibles, and disposable ware! Very well made. No flimsy products here. You will go crazy for all the cool products they have! You can use regular bamboo skewers and use a styrofoam mold/blocks covered with moss from Hobby Lobby.
* Mandoline made by Bron Coucke is a must have piece of kitchen equipment. I have had mine for years and you can get parts and new blades for it. There are many styles and sizes. I recommend a table-top version than a hand held one because of the sharp blade and ease of use. Remember to be careful when slicing…if you waste some of the product, its better than a piece of your hand/finger.
* Korean Sauce Marinade by Bibigo is a great Korean sauce. It has the right taste and texture…not too sweet and not too thick.
* Garlic Vinaigrette by Garlic Expressions is a go to vinaigrette to have always have in your pantry arsenal. The flavor and versatility of this vinaigrette is a home run! This is what I marinated the poached shrimp & scallops with and the cilienginis & tortelinis with the addition of fresh chopped parsley, basil and dill.
* Whole Artichoke Hearts by Ritrovo are amazing! They also have other great products… like truffle and fennel salts. A must to have in your pantry.
Sautéed Korean style beef and pickled cucumbers:
- Make pickled cucumbers combine all ingredients in a bowl and let pickle for at least 1 hr.
- Slice sirloin strip steak into thin ribbons lengthwise. Marinate them with Korean Sauce for at least 30 min or over night.
- Heat sautéed pan until just hot but not smoking. Sear marinaded beef strips for 1-2 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- Skewer 1 portion of Korean Style Beef then follow with 1 portion of Pickled Cucumbers then repeat with cucumbers on top. Secure paddle end into bamboo stand.
Poached and Marinated Shrimp and Scallops Spa Salad:
- Combine soften butter with 1/2 t parsley, 1/2 dill, and 1/2 garlic. Take herb compound butter and smear over bottom and sides of saucepan. Arrange shrimp and scallops on bottom of buttered pan.
- Pour white wine over shrimp and scallops just enough to come up 3/4 of the way of shrimp and scallops. Sprinkle with shallots and bring wine up to just a simmer approximately 180-185°F. Lower heat just a bit then cover with lid and poach gently for 3-5 minutes. You don’t want to over cook them, look for 120-125°F.
- Remove shrimp and scallops from pan with wire spider and transfer to a bowl to marinate with Garlic Expressions. Keep refrigerated until ready to skewer.
- Begin to skewer in this order…spinach leaves, grapefruit sections, avocado cubes, scallop, spinach, grapefruit, avocado, shrimp, spinach, grapefruit and ending with avocado. Secure paddle end into bamboo stand.
Caprese Salad with Giant Marinated Artichoke Hearts:
- Combine first 6 ingredients and let marinate for 15-30 minutes. Then strain over small bowl and reserve for other use.
- Begin skewering with spinach leaves, ciliengini mozzarella ball, grape tomatoes, tortellini, spinach, ciliengini, grape tomato, tortellini, and finish the the awesome artichoke hearts. Secure paddle end into bamboo stand.