This is my all time "go-to" appetizer & vegetarian party food. People who hate eggplant...love this crostini. The perfect balance of mediterranean flavors and textures with the crisp buttery garlicky crostini, creamy tart goat cheese, fried eggplant soaked in balsamic glaze, then topped with my delicious Roasted Red Pepper Slather! People go crazy over it. I even got a marriage proposal when I served it! Too bad, I was married. He was convincible though...LOL
Chef's Tip: You can make the eggplant 2-3 of days ahead of time. And also the crostinis (make sure your store in air-tight container or bag)
1 lg Eggplant, peeled, sliced ½ inch slices
1 t Kosher salt
4 Xtra large eggs, beaten well
1/2 Bu Italian Parsley, minced
1/2 t Salt
1/4 t Crushed Red Pepper
1 C AP Flour
*Olive Oil for Frying
1 C Balsamic Vinegar
2-3 Garlic cloves, smashed
1 t Brown sugar
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 Sprigs Rosemary, Fresh (needles only)
*Sauce pot for Glaze
1/2 C Butter, melted
1t Herbs de Provence or favorite dry herb mix
Salt and pepper to taste
12 French Baguette, sliced 1/4 inch slices
*Sheet pan with rack to toast
4-6 oz. Goat cheese, softened
2/3 C Mediterranean Roasted Red Pepper Slather
12 Italian Parsley, plumes
- Peel eggplant and slice in ½ inch slices and sweat (Sprinkle well with salt, lay flat on sheet paper until you see water beads…then flip and repeat.
- While eggplant sweats, make balsamic glaze. In a sauce pot, combine balsamic vinegar, garlic, honey or sug olive oil and rosemary. Bring to a strong simmer and remove from heat source. Reserve.
- Beat eggs well and add parsley.
- Place flour into another bowl for dusting eggplant.
- Bring Olive Oil to 350 degrees. When ready dredge eggplant in flour then dip into egg and parsley mixture and fry until golden. Place on rack over a sheet pan to drain.
- Once eggplant are done. Layer eggplant in deep sided container spread on balsamic glaze over each layer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and marinate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Slice French bread into 1/4″ oblong pieces, butter and lightly toast on both sides.
- Cut marinated eggplant into small triangular pieces to fit the crostini’s slice.
- Smear each crostini with goat cheese, top with eggplant and garnish with Mediterranean Slather and 1 parsley plume .