German Spaetzle Kugel on the fly…What?
Yeah baby, this side dish will put you in the winner’s circle!
Start with cooked dried German Spaetzle egg noodles. Whip up some egg yolks and cream cheese.
Add that mixture to the egg noodles with good ole’ fashion cottage cheese.
Combine that lovely mixture with those egg whites (from the yolks), to create a fluffy texture in your mouth.
Add some bacon and a few scallions, and low and behold…
This dish will make you scream for Mommy!
And the Ruffoni Copper Cookware will cook this dish perfectly, the best conductor of heat.
You will receive an applause of perfection when you present this dish at the table.
- 1 Lb Bechtle Traditional German Egg Noodles, spaetzle farmer style *
- 8 oz Cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces
- 6 Lg Eggs, separated
- 1 Lb Cottage cheese, large curd
- 4 T Sour cream
- 6 slices of smoked bacon, cooked
- 1 Bu Scallions, chopped
- 1 Pkg Butter and Garlic Croutons, ground course
- 2 t Gallopin’ Gourmet Shake *
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chef Gerrie's Notes
- Preheat Oven to 350º F first, cook laid out bacon on a sheet pan with a rack for about 20 minutes. Flip during cooking time. (The rack aids to the crispness and avoids cooking in all that grease). While that is cooking, chop up the scallions. Drain bacon on paper towel. Then cut into pieces and reserve.
- While oven is preheating bring salted water to a boil in stock pot to cook spaetzle noodles in. Cook until just tender and drain in colander.
- Separate eggs into into 2 separate bowls. With a hand mixer beat egg yolks well and add cream cheese pieces, one at a time until blended with the egg yolks. Clean and dry beater blades.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked noodles, stir in egg yolk mixture, fold in cottage cheese, sour cream, bacon , and scallions.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into “Kugel” noodle mixture a little at a time to incorporate.
- Process croutons and add dry gourmet shake.
- Spray baking vessel with pam fill with Kugel noodle mixture and top with herb crushed croutons.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until topping is golden brown.