Hop Sing Deviled Eggs are my reflections on Asian flavors.
Hop Sing Deviled Eggs are a trip on the wild side, I dare you to try…
Just take my basic deviled egg recipe and expand it to the rheims of the Orient.
Confucius says “the filling is the hooker that entices the pleasure seeker” …I just made that up, genius!
Take the earthy, richness of cooked egg yolks; now, combine them with the unexpected… rice wine vinegar, cream cheese, wasabi paste, garlic, cucumber, scallions, imitation crab, avocado, and a sprinkling of shredded seaweed.
OMG, it’s almost a deconstructed Californian Sushi Roll in a deviled egg!
How much fun is this? A ton… don’t you agree? I know it’s a lot of mise en place, but it’s worth it.
- Dash rapid 12 egg cooker *
- Large mixing bowl, for ice water bath to chill eggs
- Medium mixing bowl, filling
- Small mixing bowl, topping
- Paring knife
- Chef knife
- Food processor
- Rubber spatular
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Small/Tiny teaspoon, for topping
- Tweezer, garnishing with pickled ginger
- Disposable pastry bag with small fluted or plain tip *
- Egg platter
- 12 Lg Eggs, sliced in half and yolks reserved
- 2 T Cream Cheese
- 1/3 C Mayonaise
- 1/2 t “Yellow” Sriracha, from Thailand
- 1/2-1 t Wasabi paste
- 1 T Rice wine vinegar
- Fresh ground Sea Salt and White Pepper to taste
- 1 T Garlic, minced
- 2 T Crab stick, small diced 1/8″
- 3 T Scallions, finely sliced
- 2 T Cucumber, small diced 1/8″
- 1 T Cilantro, finely minced
- 2 T Avocado, small diced 1/8″
- 1-2 T Lime juice
- 24 Pink Pickled Ginger, small slices (for garnish)
- 3 T Shredded Dried Nori/Seaweed, for garnish optional but, pretty sells! You can find at local asian market.
Chef Gerrie's Notes
*Dash Rapid 12 Egg Cooker this is a great little machine. It steams up to 12 hard or soft boiled, poaches 7 eggs, and/or makes a frittata or open omelette. With the help of a tiny needle insertion,perfectly cooked eggs every time! Just plunge the eggs as soon as they are done in ice cold water…shells just peel right off. It is a must have for the devil egg lovers! * Eggs, well this is optional, but I boil up a few extra to have more yolk volume in my filling…bigger fill * Disposable pastry bag with small fluted or plain tip is optional, but it sure makes those deviled eggs gorgeous beauties. And the deposable bags are great…just trow them away…But save the tips. This package may be a bit much…but who knows you may be the next cake decorator of the world! * Yellow Sriracha
- Hard boil your 12 eggs
- While eggs are cooking, combine garlic, crab, scallions, cucumber, cilantro, avocado, and lime juice in a small bowl to marinate,
- Once eggs are done, chill in ice water a soon as you can transfer (Handle) them, then chill and carefully peel them.
- Pat dry and slice in half, reserving yolks to be put into food processor.
- Process yolks first, then add cream cheese, mayo, sriracha, wasabi paste, rice vinegar, and salt & pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Load round tip into pastry bag and fill with the egg-a-licious filling.
- Nestle a smallish teaspoon of crab, scallion & cucumber mixture on top of deviled egg.
- Garnish with pink pickled ginger with the use of a tweezer. Sprinkle with the shredded seaweed. Viola!