Southwest Pork & Chicken Pozole Soup
2 lb Pork loin, boneless and cubed
4 Chicken thighs, boneless and cubed
1 T Cumin, ground
1 t Black pepper, cracked
1 t Salt
6-8 Slices smoked bacon, cut into 1/4” strips, reserve bacon
1 Large Onion, diced
6 Garlic cloves, minced
1 t Ancho chili powder
1 t Crushed red pepper flakes
1 t Sea Salt
1 Bottle of dark beer or ale
2-3 qt Beef and Chicken stock, combined
28 oz Hominy, white canned and drained
3 Bay leaves, whole
Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste
9 oz Southwest Roasted Green Pepper Slather
1/4 C Cilantro, minced for garnish
1 C Queso Fresco, crumbled for garnish
1 Lime cut into wedges for garnish
1-2 Avocados, sliced for garnish
2/3 C Scallions, chopped for garnish
3-4 Radishes, sliced thin for garnish
3 oz CornTortilla fried strips for garnished
4-6 Serrano chiles, seeded & deveined, sliced thin for garnish
Fried reserved bacon for garnish
- Season cubed pork and chicken with cumin, sea salt and cracked pepper.
- In a dutch oven, sauté bacon strips until crisp. Remove bacon for garnish.
- Sear pork and chicken, drain and reserve.
- Saute´ onions in dutch oven until glassy then follow with garlic, crushed red pepper, and salt.
- Deglaze with beer and reduced by half.
- Add 2 quarts of stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add meat, lower heat, and cover simmering for 30 minutes.
- Add hominy and Southwest Roasted Green Pepper Slather. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Laddle Pozole in bowls and garnish with a little of each of the suggested garnishes.