Maggot Salad…or Ancient Grains Salad
Adding to the yummy is a garlicky honey vinaigrette dressing that has a touch of blackberry balsamic vinegar. The ancient grains include red quinoa, Italian farro, Arborio rice, and Chinese black rice. These are great protein resources and may introduce you to some ingredients you weren’t previously familiar with.
Don’t be scared! I got you…
In fact, I’ve got you for all of your Halloween needs. This dish (which of course can just be an ancient grains salad rather than a maggot salad), is served along with my outrageous Halloween pumpkin centerpiece, and Halloween buffet menu including Frankenstein’s Bones, Eggs in Purgatory, Charred Garden Veggies, Oily Intestines, and Slimy Red Devil Cake. Get some ghosts together and throw a monster mash…I’ll bring the food!
- 2 Quarter sauce pots with lids
- Chef knife
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Large mixing bowl
- Glass jar with lid
- 1 C Arborio rice, soaked and drained
- 1 C Red quinoa
- 1 C Chinese black rice, soaked and drained
- 1 C Italian farro
- 1 C English cucumber, diced small
- 1/2 C Red roasted pepper, diced small
- 1/2 C scallions, chopped
- 1 C Pitted green Castelvetrano olives – 1/4 C diced small for garnish
- 1/2 C Italian parsley and basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 6 oz. Pickled pitted cherry peppers (for garnish)
- 1 C Grape seed oil
- 1/3 C Blackberry balsamic or any other fruited vinegar
- 3 T Honey
- 4 Cloves of garlic, smashed
- Soak and drain Arborio rice and Chinese black rice separately.
- Cook farro, black rice, and red quinoa according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water.
Cook Arborio rice like you would white rice — drain and rinse. Combine with farro, black rice, and red quinoa in bowl.
- Combine all grains, vegetables, diced green olives, and herbs. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare vinaigrette by combining oil, vinegar, garlic, and honey in a glass jar with lid tightly on. Now shake the hell out of it!
Pour dressing over grain mixture and serve chilled or at room temperature.