Holiday Meal Hacks: Pies
- Holiday Meal Hacks to Fast Track Your Feast
- Appetizers, Soups and Salads
- Side Dishes
- The Main Meat Event
And that means, it’s time for dessert.
As always, the best way to hack your way out of cooking is to purchase your contribution to the feast, but if you want to short cut a freshly baked dessert, I’ve got just the recipes for you.
No matter if you buy or bake, I recommend varying your dessert options between fruit pies, cream pies, cake, or whatever else you want to serve. Could be ice cream, cookies, candy, brownies…who cares! It’s your holiday and you’ll eat what you want.
To keep it traditional however, I’m going to review some pie basics so that if you dare put your baking apron on, you’ll come away with a winner.
Let’s get too it, I’m ready for dessert!
- Purchase prepared pie crust and follow the instructions on the container. I recommend egg washing the bottom of the crust to prevent a soggy bottom.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
Add canned or prepared filling. You can purchase a variety of fillings in the can or jar, or prepare them yourselves. If you’re adventurous enough to make your own filling, toss your fruit with plenty of cornstarch or instant tapioca, vanilla extract or a shot of your favorite spirits, cinnamon, sugar, lemon zest, and juice.
- Fillings could include apples, cherries, peaches, blueberries, or any other fruit that makes you feel festive.
- Cover with second crust and seal using a fork or your fingers. Brush with egg wash and create a hole for steam to escape during baking.
- Freeze 15-20 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Let set for several hours or overnight.
- Purchase prepared pie crust and can of pumpkin.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Roll out pie dough and fit to pie baking dish. Egg wash the bottom of the crust and freeze 15-20 minutes before adding filling.
- Fill with canned pumpkin and bake as directed on package instructions.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Purchase prepared pie crust, custard, and whipped cream.
- Roll out pie dough and fit to pie baking dish. Egg wash the bottom of the crust and freeze 15-20 minutes.
- Bake according to instructions on the package and let cool before adding filling.
- Fill pie with prepared custard and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Top with whipped cream. You also have the option of topping with meringue. Meringue is made by heating sugar and egg whites in a double boiler until the sugar is dissolved, then whip the crap out of it! It can be tricky so whipped cream is your safest bet. For extra flare, top cram with chocolate shavings, cinnamon, or toasted coconut.
It really can be that easy with the help of the super market…a holiday hacker’s mother ship. The best part is that you still show up with a homemade dessert that is bound to impress your supper club.