Caribbean Coconut Curry Mussels
There is nothing sexier than a big ole’ bowl of hot, soupy, spicy Coconut Curry Mussels and hot, crusty French bread…with the addition of my Caribbean Roasted Yellow Pepper Slather!
Ooooh Baby…my slather incorporates yellow peppers with mango and banana with a kiss of habanero…its a sweet heat!
You may just like it TOO much!
Small scrub brush (remove beards on mussels)
Large dutch oven with lid
Rubber, spatula (heat resistant)
Measuring cups and spoons
9 oz Chef Gerrie’s Caribbean Roasted Yellow Pepper Slather
1-2 Lemongrass stalks, trimmed and smashed
4 T Avocado oil
1 Med Red onion, thinly sliced
3 T Ginger peeled, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2-3 T Curry chili paste
2 C White wine, sauvignon blanc
1T Brown Sugar
2 15-ounce cans coconut milk
2 T Fish sauce
2 lb Mussels, scrubbed and debearded
2 Limes, zest (reserve) and quartered
1/2 C Cilantro, fresh chopped
1 Red fresh Chili pepper, deseeded, stem removed and thinly sliced on the diagonal for garnish
- Rinse and pick through mussels. Throw out open and cracked mussels. Scrub to remove beards.
- Heat dutch oven, add avocado oil and saute‛ onions, ginger, garlic, and lemon grass.
- Add white wine and reduce by half.
- Add curry paste, brown sugar, and follow with coconut milk, lime juice, zest, and fish sauce. Bring up to a simmer.
- Add mussels, cover and reduce heat to low for 5-8 minutes, until mussels are open.
- Add the Caribbean Roasted Yellow Pepper Slather. Cover and simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnish with cilantro, red pepper slices, and hot crusty French bread.