The taste of Madrange french ham, with triple cream brie, and a little surprise of thin slices of sweet golden delicious apples, sandwiched between yummy artisanal farmhouse bread is divine.
I swear the flavor and aroma would shatter the fast of a Buddhist Monk…well, maybe the Pope.
- Chef knife
- Apple corer (optional)
- Condiment “knife style” spreader
- Metal spatula
- 1 large sheet pan, lined with foil (for easy clean-up)
- Large saute pan/griddle if cooking on a stove-top grill or stove, or electric Panini press (optional)
- 1-2 loaves, Artisan Farmhouse bread, sliced into 16 slices *
- 1/2-2/3 lb. Magrange ham, sliced thin into 16 slices *
- 1/2-2/3 lb. triple cream brie, sliced 1/4 inch thick for 16 slices *
- 4-6 oz. softened salted butter
- 2 oz. French whole grain mustard
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, cored and sliced thin, 3 slices per sandwich or 12 slices
Chef Gerrie’s Notes:
* Artisan Farmhouse bread crust is crispy and chewy. The interior is airy and aromatic and the flavor is full and lingering to support the flavor of the ham and cheese. Sourdough, Italian Semolina, Rye, or any whole grain would be great.
* Madrange ham is a French ham with a superior mild flavor. French spices are used in the brining process without any nitrates. Three Little Pigs, a charcuterie house of gourmet meats, has a wonderful Madrange ham.
* Triple cream brie is basically butter mixed with whipped cream-it yields, it melts, it runs, and so rich to the taste in a soft rind/bloom cheese. Belletoile is an excellent brand. Put into the freezer for a bit for easier slicing.
1 Mise en place my friends! Meaning, get all ingredients portioned out and equipment ready to go first when you are sandwich making. You may have to eyeball the cheese to make sure you get the portions needed.
2 Preheat oven to 450° F, or heat panini press to manufacture instructions.
3 Make an assembly line by laying out matching bread slices. Spread one side of bread slices with a small, thin amount of butter. Then do the same with mustard on the match side of each bread slice.
4 Layer 2 slices of ham, one slice on each slice of bread. Then top ham with 1 slice of brie and follow with 3 slices of apple per sandwich. Position opened matching sandwiches on foiled lined sheet pan and place on middle rack of oven.
Layering of bread, ham, cheese, and apple.
5 Toast open sandwiches for a few minutes or until cheese has softened. Remove from oven. Close up sandwiches.
Toast sandwiches to melt cheese and apples onto ham.
6 Slice and enjoy the gooey, yumminess of the sandwich.
Slice and enjoy!